Pages

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Finished Baby Quilt for Vicky!

I apparently started this quilt at the end of June, meaning to finish it by the time her baby was born in August. I, unsurprisingly, did not finish it in time at all.

Here is the post with the fabrics I chose, and it had to be gender neutral since they wanted to be surprised. They had a boy, though and he is super cute!

So I started the quilt in the summer and made good progress on it before we went to Europe for two weeks. Then I had misread the amount I needed for the grey fabric, so I had to order more from fabrics.com and wait for it to arrive. That all overlapped with school starting and feeling exponentially tired until around Halloween, when I started feel peppier.

I finished up her quilt in November and dropped it off at Windy City Quilting to have the actual quilting done. I doubt I could do that on my machine and I wanted it to look really nice. She did a pattern called "bubbles" on it and it only cost about $70. She did a great job and is in the NW suburbs near O'Hare, so not very far away at all.

She said she had about 35 quilts in line to do, but she would try to squeeze it in before Xmas because it was a small quilt. She total delivered and I got it in the beginning of December! Then I did the binding on my machine and the quilt saga was FINALLY complete. Just in time to bring it to Oregon at Xmas and give it Vicky in person!

And now some pictures...

Back from quilting, but before binding.
the front

front close up
 The back is the animal print's corresponding fabric with the alphabet. Very cute!
the back
 After binding, the finished quilt!
folded in half

the front


folded to show a little of the back too

tall Andrew holding up the front

the full back
I am super proud of this quilt. I think it is adorable and I put a lot of work into it and I hope baby Monroe enjoys it for many years to come!

8 comments:

  1. WOW! That is a truly beautiful quilt! What a lucky little fellow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It took a LONG time to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a special blanket for a baby! It is an amazing gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful quilt and I'm sure Monroe will use it and love it for years to come! It looks so good in the photos but it is really beautiful in person!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did awesome! I'm so impressed by anyone who can quilt and yours looks super professional.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! What a great job. I'm in Chicago too and will have to remember Windy City Quilting if I attempt a quilt. I'm kind of intimidated of quilting. But yours turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, what are the dimensions of the quilt? You said it was a small quilt, but it looks so large.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is bigger than a crib quilt but not as big as a twin bed- I think it was about 48" x 60" ish.

      Delete

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!