Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

My Alma blouse, polka dot style

Once again, I got to be a pattern tester for Tasia's new Sewaholic pattern, the Alma blouse. I would like to think that I didn't subconsciously copy her blouse, since it wasn't intentional but my blouse looks waaaayyy too much like hers. It's even the same version. I am a dork. Go check it out.

So I made the version with cap sleeves in a red polyester with white polka dots. I think I did not sew the notch on the collar correctly, because it is not very defined. However, that would be my error. The pattern is lovely and simple to follow, like they always are. I made a 2 and it fits perfectly. I made no changes to the pattern, other than putting in a handpicked zipper instead of an invisible zip. 

 I saw Lauren's and Marie's, which reminded me that I had let 2 months slip by without taking pictures of my blouse. Both of their blouses are adorable. I also googled other versions to see if I missed any and I found Karen's and Mika's. These are also very pretty. I love how you can see eight version of the same pattern (including Tasia's 3) and they are all so pretty and unique. 
 I love the blouse, but I need to stop making things with cap sleeves. It makes me look like I have the shoulders of a gymnast! Yay, go USA gymnasts; I love watching the Olympic gymnastics, since I used to do it as a kid. I don't really need to emphasize my shoulders, though.
I love this pattern and plan on making the long-sleeve version for the fall. I already bought the brown fabric at the same time, it's a nice sandy brown with big white polka dots. I am in a frenzy for dots, you would think.

In other news, we have chosen March 10, 2013 as our wedding date and are choosing between two locations right now. I need to get going on the wedding dress so that my procrastination doesn't ruin my wedding.

Link in the comments if you see any other Almas pop up in  blog land!

17 comments:

  1. Ha, I considered ripping off Tasia's blouse myself... it's so pretty! I love how fitted yours is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was unintentional, but she definitely sent us pictures of that version right?

      Delete
  2. Looks great! (I also have some similar red polka dotted fabric that i started to make a top out of but the fit was off and i haven't fixed it yet.) I'm imagining that if you made a version adding a cute full skirt to the bottom, your top would work great as a dress bodice - it's fitted so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks lovely. It fits you beautifully but I don't agree that the cap sleeves don't flatter you. I saw Karen's version and it's beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I can't wait to get my pattern...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so gorgeous on you Molly - your fabric choice is spot on! And I really don't think the cap sleeves are a problem...you have such a lovely figure!!! Have you seen Mika's Alma? I think I'm in love: http://savorystitches.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/my-alma-blouse.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and it looks more casual and comfortable.

      Delete
  6. That blouse is so cute! I think the cap sleeves look just fine on you! I hope we get to hear about the wedding dress as you are making it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure there will be a ton of work-in-progress posts! I think it will take quite a while...

      Delete
  7. So pretty Molly, it is a perfect fit and the fabric is a great choice! You always do such a good job. Can't wait to see your wedding dress progress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this version in polka dots! It turned out beautifully, and I think I may need to add this version to my closet once the pattern arrives. Well done and congratulations on setting a date!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this.Very hot!!! I love that its nice and fitted.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!