Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Blue Dress is Finished!!!!

Having finished my dress, which took over a month (gasp!), and having posed in the mirror last night examining it, I have some conclusions.

Total cost: $25.26 (not including labor, because my precious sewing time is worth one million dollars an hour ;) )

Overall, I like it.

I am very satisfied with my belt and covered button.

If I were to make it again, the only thing I would change is to make the sleeve part into a separate bolero. The pattern wants it to be attached. I think that contributed greatly to the lumpy back (see below), and that it would look better separate.

Oh, and I would do a normal side-boob dart (oh, excuse me, underarm) instead of the three poofy tucks the pattern wants.

My changes: shorten hem, lengthened all darts (skirt front and back, all darts on jacket back)
Posing (for my self-timer)
Close-up of tie and belt detail.
See how the upper back is so lumpy? I managed to lessen it, but couldn't get rid of it completely.
Front view- It fits like a glove.
I wanted a shot of my hair. I call this the "Mormon bride." It reminds me of of the hairstyle of all the women who were on the polygamous compound in Texas. It is the only hairstyle I've ever discovered where I can hold up all of my hair with 2 big bobby pins.
As you can see, the pattern would also make a cute strapless party dress.


Finally, look at how much of my blouse I've put together today! I plan on finishing it tonight!
fin.

9 comments:

  1. Your blue dress is adorable.
    The Vogue Sewing book has a whole page about the back fitting problem you came upon.

    In case it happens again.

    I'd be so dazzle by the pretty blue color i doubt i'd notice the back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. B*E*A*U*T*I*F*U*L
    You did an excellent job on the blue dress!
    I know you will get many compliments when you wear it.
    The blouse is sooooo pretty and wow is it going fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!! The dress looks great and really flattering on you, great color! The blouse looks perfect, can't wait to see it finished. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous dress, just saw it on sew retro, lovely fit and the colour is great! Blouse looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty color and I love, love , love the style. You are very talented!
    jana

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks fantastic. I love how the bolero ties at the front.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dress looks fantastic! I love the color on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it, and I cant wait to see the next one

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very lovely dress. The color and style are gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!